Monday 29 August 2011

What I Will by Suheir Hammad


 

What I Will
by Suheir Hammad

I will not  dance to your war drum. 
I will not lend my soul nor my bones to your war drum. 
I will not dance to your beating. 
I know that beat.
It is lifeless.

I know intimately that skin you are hitting. 
It was alive once hunted stolen stretched.
I will not dance to your drummed up war. 
I will not pop spin beak for you.
I will not hate for you or even hate you.
I will not kill for you. 
Especially I will not die for you. 
I will not mourn the dead with murder nor suicide. 
I will not side with you nor dance to bombs 
because everyone else is dancing. 
Everyone can be wrong. 
Life is a right not collateral or casual. 
I will not forget where I come from.
I will craft my own drum. Gather my beloved
near and our chanting will be dancing. Our humming will be drumming.
I will not be played. 
I will not lend my name nor my rhythm to your beat. 
I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. 
This heartbeat is louder than death. 
Your war drum ain’t louder than this breath.